What Now?

I was about to put the final touches on part 2 of the article entitled “The Big Commitment” when I had an epiphany. 

If we are to believe the statistic that 95% of individuals, who join a gym, quit within six months, then what do the remaining 5% possess that others do not. This prevailing thought bombarded my brain to the point that I needed to find an answer. 

I have always been a proponent of finding out a person’s “why” as the key to unlocking the motivational force, which would impel him or her to achieve a worthwhile goal. While it’s true that the “why” in accomplishing any endeavor is a paramount component, I now find that the “what” is equally important as well. 

Ask an individual why he or she wants to do a thing, and the answer is often nebulous. Press him or her on what they want to do, and the reply is more ambiguous. Let me elucidate in hopes that my reasoning will become more apparent. 

As a Personal Trainer, I ask a prospective client an innumerable number of questions to ascertain what goals he or she is trying to achieve. Invariably the answer is one of wanting to lose weight. When I delve deeper, the individual has no clue as to how much, how will the reduction in weight change their lifestyle, what would they do differently, and what is the next goal after that one is achieved.  

The deer in the headlights expression on the individual’s face is a sure sign that the person has not thought that far ahead. Without a clearly defined goal, broken down into simple steps by a well thought out plan, and peppered with milestones along the way, the individual is surely on the path to abject failure. 

Before a compelling reason can be used to motivate an individual, what do they want to achieve must be broken down into a simplistic form that the mere mention of it, calls to mind what the goal is. 

What do you want? 

What are you willing to give up to get what you want? 

What are the carefully laid plans to achieve the goal? 

I want to lose weight. (So does every overweight person). 

How much weight do you want to lose? (I don’t rightly know). 

What will change when you lose the weight? (I haven’t thought that far ahead). 

The more I press the individual, the more irritated he or she becomes. It is akin to pulling the Band-Aid on a sore that has not properly healed. Each question forces the individual to nail down what is it that he or she really want, and if the temerity exists for its attainment. 

“I want to lose weight.” 

“No, you don’t.” 

“What do you mean?” 

“What is the first thing you do when you lose something?” 

“I look for it.” 

“Then you do not want to lose weight?” 


B.M.Booth (NASM-CPT) 


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s